Tuesday 3 March 2009

Back to work etc

We have both been busy busy busy the last week but have been fairly good at taking lunch with us and making our own food most of the time. The main issue with it in my mind is that I never seem to take enough with me, then when I take lots I don't eat it all and it gets smushed in my bag. Several days a week I leave the house at 9am and get home at 11pm, so I need 2 meals with me. I also cycle a fair distance and get super hungry. However, I don't want a bag full of 2 lunch boxes (heavy and awkward to carry), neither do I want to spend loads on eating out all the time or go hungry (a hungry B is not a pleasant B). I also tend to have a lot of fruit, which if you carry it about too much get spoiled, I am not a fan of bruised fruit. I can buy lots of food at the start of the week and keep it at uni, but obviously some foods keep better in the fridge...which brings me on to these articles I have been reading recently about dedicated eco folks living without fridges.

This was something that had never even occurred to me, I think I was so entrenched in total acceptance of having a fridge tht I had never even thought about not having one. the only time I have had any part in buying a fridge the one we chose was very eco-friendly but living without one - that was an alien thought! Having read a bit about it I am thinking about doing a trial, there are several things which mean we can't leap in straight away. Firstly, our fridge is a fridge-freezer, most people who I have read about who don't have a fridge still use their freezer, and cool their fridge-foods with frozen water bottles or ice packs, we would have to leave our fridge on to do that which would somewhat defeat the point of not using it. Secondly, we don't have a cool box or the money to buy one at the moment. Lastly, I am not sure what good it would do us at the moment to try this as we have just stocked up on frozen veg and I don't really want to melt that. I think it would be better to wait until such time that we could buy a cool box and not risk our food going off, thus wasting it, and then seeing if we could turn the freezer off too.
But I definitely want to try it at some point, preferably before the end of the year.

B:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/19/living-without-fridge-green

http://www.goselfsufficient.co.uk/living-without-a-fridge.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/garden/05fridge.html?_r=1&8dpc

No comments:

Post a Comment