Wednesday 4 February 2009

Last week we decided to increase the difficulty of our challenges by not shopping at chain stores for a week. The first hurdle we came across was what constituted a chain store. Some such as Tesco, Asda, Boots and Starbucks are easy to identify as they are at the forefront of the homogenisation of the high street. However, what about independent stores which have more than two or three stores? Does this constitute a chain store? We decided to use common sense and judge each place on its own merits.


The week started well with lots of packed lunches which negated the need to go to chain stores during the day. We are also lucky enough to have a local mini-high street which is relatively untouched by chain stores, apart from betting shops, so most of our evening needs came from here. However, the day I forgot to take lunch turned into a bit of a nightmare. I work in central London where the rising cost of rents has forced many independent stores out of business. Also, as a vegetarian who doesn't really eat dairy or eggs (I refrain from calling myself vegan, as I do occasionally eat dairy) the choice of ready food in central London is further reduced. I'll admit that I don't know the exact location of all vegetarian restaurants in the local area but as a temp who gets paid by the hour, the less time I spend searching for lunch, the more I get paid so it is my best interest to get something to eat as quickly as possible. After an agonising half an hour of wandering round like a zombie I managed to find a café which claimed to be independent and sat down to chips and beans.


There were a few hiccups during the week; a trip to Fresh and Wild, a health food store which is owned by Whole Foods, and meeting a friend in Pret were the only digressions. Still I think for two people to work in central London and only use chain stores twice during a week is pretty good going.

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment