Monday 20 April 2009

Day one - cycling / walking to and from work everyday

For the first post I am going to choose an obvious solution: to replace my journeys on public transport to work by walking or cycling. According to this map (here) my journey to work is 2.84 miles by train and 3.7 miles by tube. This, according to www.carbonfootprint.com, produces 0.01 tonnes of carbon dioxide per week. Therefore it would take just over 400 days of cycling or walking to work to replace the carbon used in our plane journeys. I have recently bought a bike and I am planning to one day cycle to work but not right now so I think I'll shelve this idea. Another argument against this could be that the trains, buses and tubes would still run regardless of whether I got them or not, and would still produce the same amount of carbon dioxide, I would just have the guilt removed slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment